This is my tried and true classic horchata recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup blanched, skinless almonds
- 8 cups water (total)
- 1 cup sugar + more to taste
- 2 cinnamon sticks + more to garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- Grind rice and almonds until you get a fine powder. I use a coffee grinder.
- Put mix into large bowl and add 3 cups of water.
- Bury 2 cinnamon sticks under the mixture in the water.
- Set aside on your counter top under plastic wrap for at least 8 hours.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and add 1 cup of water to your mixture.
- Take a mesh sieve and cover it with a piece of cheesecloth, then strain the rice mixture through into a bowl. Throw solid mix away.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the rice water, whisk thoroughly. Add 4 cups of cold water.
- Shake some ground cinnamon in and whisk, adding in more cinnamon or sugar to taste.
- Pour into pitcher and add ice. Add cinnamon sticks for garnish.