Found this great chunky tomato basil soup recipe on theroastedroot.net that sounded like the perfect solve for an easy lunch and dinner. Super simple ingredients and makes enough for the week (it makes a LOT)!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- handful of fresh basil
- 3 cans of whole peeled tomatoes (28 oz)
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook chopped onions in large pot with olive oil until onions start to brown, then add minced garlic
- Open your cans of tomatoes and chop them up and put them into the pot with the tomato juice from the cans
- Then add chopped basil, vegetable stock and the butter, stir until the butter melts into the soup
- Add the baking soda (which will cause your soup to bubble), making sure to to stir until the foam dissolves, then bring the soup to a boil and reduce heat until the soup is down to a simmer
- Cook for 45 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste!
This soup is quite perfect for these rainy Florida summer afternoons with some toast and a good book. 🙂